Wednesday, July 30, 2008

FC Recruiting Workflow System

I need to provide a system where users will have the ability to post, comment and approve documents. In addition, his system needs to provide access control and groups. Work flow would also be nice if possible.

Due to the procedural changes being handed down from on high, I need to get this done in under 30 days otherwise, it turns into a pumpkin, or rather a project, as opposed to a Rapid Application and would then require voluminous paperwork and painstaking meetings.

While I could build something custom, I'm not sure that I can get all the desired features done in the time frame, so I'm looking at document management systems and frameworks I could potentially build off of.

I looked at M$ WSS, but quickly scrapped it due to the need to run Visual Studio 2005 on Windows Sever 2003, which makes it much less free (as in beer)

I then looked at Alfresco, which is very pretty but complex. The community edition comes in a large executable, which install a full java stack. It was not as easy to get running as I had hoped.

Next, was Knowledge Tree, which I found to be more usable and intuitive than Alfresco, although slightly less shiny. I am interested in pursuing this one, but also want to continue investigating other lighter weight alternatives such as Genus and others found on SourceForge.

No comments: